Here’s what’s left of my travel food + vitamin supply. I already ate my stash of Picky Bars so those are missing 😳
Top left to right
- Vital Proteins collagen looking suspect in that plastic baggie
- Slow FE iron
- Hot chocolate mix I picked up in Paris (also usually a bar of dark dark chocolate)
- @maurten_official Gel (I brought the drink powder as well but used it up already)
- Nuun electrolyte tabs
- Emergen C (about 7 more where that came from)
- Werthers hard candy 👵🏼
- Gelatin (sometimes put this in oats instead of the collagen)
- @gardenoflife protein (I try to eat 2 meals plant based a day, this helps keep protein intake up. Also the collagen)
- Tea from England (What is galangal?!)
- @kleanathlete Vitamin D (also a Naturemade multi)
Place: 5th, Time: 1:59.3 (PR)
I ran a season best in the 800 at the Paris Diamond League today. 1:59.3, which is also a huge improvement from the Birmingham race last Sunday.
I’d be lying if I said the race last week didn’t shake me. Even though I know each race is unique and the conditions make a difference, it’s not easy on the ego to post a slow time.
I also feel like I’m re-learning how to run the 800 from a more distance -based training. I get out relatively fast but I’m trailing a majority of the field at 200. In Birmingham I just ran into people and lost momentum. Today I was a bit better at keeping my pace and pulling wide to pass when necessary. It helped that the field was more strung out.
Of course I always want a little more, a little faster. But I’m also happy to be here, running, learning. It was a beautiful night and the stadium was impressive and the crowd was engaged. Paris does not disappoint.
Photo exchange from @ilariafedeli66 in zurich
Place: 7th, Time: 2:03.1
I never feel the need to apologize for races like I do after this. Won’t drone on, but I do want to say I notice and appreciate the support last week. And I’m sorry there wasn’t more to show for it on the day. Conditions were … not ideal. And that can be an excuse for times, but not really for place. Probably could come up with some other angle. But I don’t see how that’s productive. X
I keep these kits pre-packed so I can easily add them to my overnight or plane bag. I use zip-lock bags, which are nice for visibility, but not the prettiest.
Overnight travel kit
- Earplugs – Macks Ultra Soft Foam. Yes, you can find generic versions in drugstores, no, I don’t think they are the same. The foam in these is better. (I prefer foam, I don’t like that my hair gets caught in wax).
- Eye mask – Tempur-Pedic The Sleep Mask was my all time favorite. But I lost it, so the one I’m using right now is a slightly cheaper version. And for quick overnights I’ll just use a generic thin one, the kind you get on international flights.
- Face mask
- Quick supplies – lint roller, pen, chapstick
- Sentimental/grounding keepsakes – Necklace, rock, crystal
- Generic Drugs just in case – Ibuprofen, Midol, Benadryl, extra Iron supplement⠀ ⠀
Long travel kit
- Neck pillow – I bought one years ago at an airport shop in Germany I think. It does the job.
- Alcohol wipes – for the planes and hotel surfaces, just a pack of wet wipes I bought at the airport
- Body wipes – for bathroom shower after flight sleeps or on layovers.
- Bamboo Travel Utensils – To-Go Ware Set. My mom re-gifted these to me years ago, and I’ve used them more than any recent purchase.
- Universal travel adapter – The all-in-one feature is convenient. But the various configurations can sometimes be a bit finicky, as in they get pushed back into the device if I have to apply pressure when inserting into the outlet.
- Charging cords – one universal and one for my iPhone and wall plug
- External charger
- Plane ear buds (just re-use a set I bought once on a flight)
Place: 3rd, Time: 4:24.2
Konstanze took the race fast and I followed in second, tried to keep her in range. Colleen went around to with about 500 to go. I’m feeling more fit and have more energy than this time last year, and the race was faster, so those are all improvements. I also want more. Good thing this is just the start of the year.